Curriculum and Course List
Required basic Core Courses (9 credit hours)
- AGEC5783 Bioenergy Economics and Sustainability (OSU)
- PLNT 4573 Bioenergy Feedstock Production (KSU)
- MCAG 5413 Fundamentals of Conversion (UAR)
Additional Courses (Select 2 for 6 credit hours)
- PLNT 5313 Simulation Models in Research, Management & Policy (OSU)
- AGEC 5483 Bioenergy Feasibility and Commercialization (OSU)
- BAE 6213 Advanced Biomass Thermochemical Conversion (KSU)
- CHE 5233, BAE 5233, Bioseparations (KSU)
- BAE 5353 Environmental and Ecological Risk Assessment (UAR)
- BAE 5363 Life Cycle Assessment (UAR)
- SOIL 5453 Soil and Water Quality in Bioenergy Feedstock Production Systems (SDSU)
- AGEC 4503 Bioenergy and Resource Economics (SDSU)
- NREM 5093 Community and Natural Resources (SDSU)
Other Bioenergy-related Courses Offered @ OSU
BAE 4283/CHE 4283-Bioproces Engineering
Prerequisite(s): 3013, 3113 or consent of instructor, ENSC 3233. Application of fundamental engineering principles to biochemical and biological processes. Introduction to cellular processes, fermentation technology, biological mass transfer and kinetics, bioreactor design and scale-up and downstream processing.
BAE 4400/BAE 5030-Biofuels and Bioproducts
Prerequisite(s): MATH 1513 or equivalent, or consent of instructor. An introduction to the production of biofuels and bioproducts from renewable sources. This team-taught course covers the fundamentals of many aspects of the biofuels, bioproducts and biopower supply chain including feedstock supply, pre-processing, logistics, conversion, distribution, life cycle analysis, sustainability and economics, policy and international perspective.
BAE 5213-Renewable Energy Engineering
Prerequisite(s): ENSC 2213, ENSC 3233 or consent of instructor. Renewable technologies such as solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, and biomass to generate energy for electricity, heating, transportation, and other uses.
BAE 5243-Biological Conversion for Advanced Biofuels
Prerequisite(s): ENSC 2213. Fundamental principles and applications of converting biomass to advanced biofuels. Focus will be on biological processes, fermentor design and operation, product recovery and emerging fuels.
BAE 5283-Advanced Bioprocess Engineering
Prerequisite(s): Consent of instructor. Application of fundamental engineering principles to biochemical and biological processes. Introduction to cellular processes, fermentation technology, biological mass transfer and kinetics, bioreactor design and scale-up and downstream processing. (Same course as CHE 5283)
PLNT 4573-Bioenergy Feedstock Production
Prerequisite(s): 1213. Understand production and management practices for potential bioenergy feedstocks. Distinguish feedstock sources and end products. Identify physiological mechanisms to improve yield and quality under current and future climates. Use simulation and GIS tools to project biomass and ethanol yields.